Chilton Trinity

Chilton Trinity Primary
Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity Life at Chilton Trinity

Sports Report - Year 8 Rugby Boys

The year 8 rugby team entertained Brymore tonight. Fresh from a superb team performance against Haygrove in which they drew 20-20 the boys were in a confident mood.

This was soon tested when Brymore enjoyed long spells of possession in the early part of the game and with a strong offload game put Chilton under huge pressure. It was Brymore who deservedly took the lead under the posts after constant pressure. Aiden Higgins managed to bustle his way over the line to flick the whitewash with an outstretched arm to make it all square after 15 minutes. With 5 to go Brymore scored again with too many in the ruck for Chilton this meant there were big gaps in the defensive line. Chilton levelled things up with Manchip going over the line before Brymore stole the ball once again and just managed to stretch over the line to leave the half time score 15-10 to Brymore. 

The half time team talk saw a big emphasis on playing smarter rugby for offloads and not into collisions and being a more united defence. This fell on deaf ears as Brymore almost scored in the corner but were put into touch right by the try line. Only for them seconds later to steal the ball from a ruck once again and go over the line to make it 20-10. Chilton pulled some passes together and Lewis Jennings managed to wriggle his way over to pull the deficit back to 20-15. With Chilton now deciding to play some free flowing rugby with their excellent backs rather than take the ball into collisions and losing it against a well drilled Brymore side, they started to find more joy and Ashley Higgins got over the line to make it 

However(!) once again Chilton committed too many to a ruck and Brymore took the long way around to score a tremendous solo try to put Chilton in trouble at 25-20 with 5 minutes to go. Captain Hambly rallied the troops and Manchip started to up his game as gaps started to show in a tiring Brymore defence. Hambly decided deep in his own 22 to kick the ball in behind as Brymore had no full back. With Manchip supporting they managed to kick it towards the line showing great strength and match awareness to allow Hambly to pick up and dive over the line. 25-25 with 90 seconds left. 

A superb passing move from the backs allowed Gingell to break free and for the first time managed to look up and offload brilliantly to Manchip who made no mistake outpacing two Brymore boys to fling himself over the line 30-25 with 30 seconds to go.  

A knock on from a Brymore player ensured the ball was booted out of touch and jubilant celebrations ensued from the boys. Although not at their best they showed once again that they have some serious character and grit which is fantastic to see. It was a superb match. Special mentions must go to Hambly, Manchip, Marsh, Western who never stopped running and putting in the big hits. 

© 2019 Chilton Trinity, Chilton Street, Bridgwater, Somerset, TA6 3JA
Tel: 01278 425222 | Fax: 01278 720066 | E-mail:
Terms of Use