A Rigorous Academic Curriculum
Our curriculum is for all students, where ‘knowledge is power.’ We believe it will develop student's cultural capital and knowledge so that they can enter the adult world with high levels of Ambition, Engagement and Resilience in life. Students will experience a rigorous academic curriculum that gives genuine life experiences and promotes belief that all students can achieve anything they put their mind to.
- Subject knowledge is taught with clear rationale and purpose in all subjects; ensuring that the sequence of learning builds on previous knowledge whilst supporting future progression.
- A sequential curriculum that is challenging, enriching and open to all, but also allows for a more personalised approach for those who need it. With a differentiated curriculum for specific cohorts of students; meeting the needs of students of all abilities at the school.
- The curriculum allows for learning to develop through the key stages building on previous knowledge acquisition and using assessment effectively to inform learning;
- We recognise the importance of educating the ‘whole child’ through academic subjects and enrichment. We ensure students develop their spiritual, moral, social and cultural (SMSC) understanding on a daily basis and that SMSC is threaded throughout all subjects and enrichment. Students develop lively, enquiring minds and the ability to question and argue rationally.
- Careers guidance supports our students to access relevant information and make informed decisions about their future; leading to qualifications that are of worth for employers and for entry to further and higher education, preparing students to compete in the global economy.
- We promote the British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs; allowing students to acquire an appreciation and respect for their own and other cultures.
- We prepare students for their public examinations with a coherent ‘exam offer’ within all years.
- We maintain the highest standards of literacy across the curriculum, so students are given the skills to self-regulate and show academic and emotional literacy.
- We provide students the opportunity to be leaders of their own learning by focusing on developing students’ metacognitive skills and retrieval practice; enable all students to fulfil their potential.
Each subject area is clear about its intent and has medium and long term plans in place to ensure the whole school priorities are being delivered and that there is a clear rationale for subject delivery across the school.
The school year, in order to ensure greater structure, will be split in to 6 units.
For more information please contact Mr T Newell on 01278 425222